Rice Fortification Resources
As rice fortification evolves as a way to improve public health, multi-sector partners are working together to provide technical resources. To stay informed, join the rice fortification resource sharing platform by sending an e-mail to Becky Tsang, FFI Technical Officer for Asia, at email@example.com
Download the above map as a PowerPoint slide.
See the following resources for more information about rice fortification:
- August 2016 presentation on evidence and current status of rice fortification and lessons learned from grain fortification.
- Resumen de las Evidencias y Situación Actual de la Fortificación del Arroz y Desafíos en la Fortificación de Granos.
- Worksheet for stakeholders in countries considering mandating fortification of rice imports.
- Rapid qualitative assay for fortified rice, developed for non-laboratory use, such as regulatory monitoring. See the standard operating procedures and the documentation for the assay.
- Technical manual for rice fortification in a toolkit from the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) and PATH.
- Public and private sector experiences on rice fortification in Colombia. Also see a Power Point presentation based on this study.
- Iron bioavailability nearly doubles with innovative rice fortification technique
- Strategic paper prepared for the World Health Organization's Western Pacific Regional Office for factors determining the feasibility of fortifying wheat flour and rice.
- Technical considerations for rice fortification in public health in a special issue of the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences.
- Scaling Up Rice Fortification in Asia, a workshop report published by Sight and Life and the World Food Programme in 2015.
- Rice fortification's impact on nutrition, a peer-reviewed brief written by the Food Fortification Initiative October 2014.
- World Food Programme (WFP) experiences with fortified rice, as presented by Judith Smit, Rice Fortification Manager for the WFP Regional Bureau for Asia, in April 2014.
- Data on rice production, trade, and consumption as seen in an excerpt from a presentation made to the FFI Executive Management Team in November 2012.
- World Health Organization process for developing nutrition guidelines for fortified rice
- A video explaining one extrusion rice fortification technique in English and Portuguese.
- Rice fortification: Its potential for improving micronutrient intake and steps required for implementation at scale. Food and Nutrition Bulletin, 2012, vol. 33, no. 4. S360-S372.
- Rice fortification: An emerging opportunity to contribute to the elimination of vitamin and mineral deficiency worldwide. Food and Nutrition Bulletin, 2012, vol. 33, no. 4, 296-307.
- Rice Fortification in Developing Countries: A Critical Review of the Technical and Economic Feasibility, a 2008 publication by the U.S. Agency for International Development, A2Z, Academy for Educational Development, and the Institute of Food Technologies.
- Dinámicas de los sectores del arroz para lograr su fortificación: La experiencia de Colombia y sus lecciones
- La fortificación del grano de arroz. Un repaso de la oportunidad que representa la fortificación del grano del arroz para la población consumidora de arroz y para la industria arrocera y las opciones tecnológicas que existen para realizarla.
- Answers to frequently asked questions about rice fortification, including available technology and fortified kernel suppliers.