Regional Consultative and Capacity Building Workshop on Strengthening Food Fortification Programmes: Monitoring and Surveillance Systems
08 October 2018 - 10 October 2018
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
- Provide the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Member States with an opportunity to consult and share lessons on the application of the previously learned quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) approaches within the SADC context
- Capacitate Member States to implement new streamlined approaches to conducting regulatory monitoring for food fortification programs and how to operationalize these approaches at a country level
- Share good practices related to food fortification regulatory monitoring
- Review the current state of fortification in SADC countries (including current fortification standards in comparison to World Health Organization recommendations) and develop a road map for the scale up of mandatory fortification across the region and country-specific roadmaps that prioritize critical next steps that can lead to sustained improvements in nutritional and health status
- Introduce SADC secretariat efforts to develop regional food fortification minimum standards
- Introduce the concept of a regional fortification alliance and regional technical working group and priority next steps
See the programme.
SADC and the Ministry of Health in South Africa will host the event with support from UNICEF and Smarter Futures.
Smarter Futures is a public-private-civic partnership which provides fortification technical support and training for flour millers, government food control staff, and other stakeholders in Africa. Smarter Futures partners are:
- Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN)
- International Federation for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus (IF)
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands
- World Food Programme