Scaling Up Rice Fortification in Asia
16 September 2014 - 19 September 2014
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
This conference hosted discussions about the latest evidence on the effectiveness of rice fortification, best practices from countries where rice is already being fortified, and the latest developments in technologies and policies. A final report is being drafted for a future supplement of Sight and Life. In the meantime, see the presentations below for more information. Also see answers to frequently asked questions about rice fortification.
Nearly 200 representatives attended from countries which are planning or already working to introduce the distribution of fortified rice. Countries represented included Bangladesh, Cambodia, Indonesia, India, Laos, Myanmar, Nepal, the Philippines and Sri Lanka.
Participants included government and private sector representatives, as well as experts in nutrition, public health, food technology and development issues, donors to development and humanitarian activities, and representatives from the private sector, such as rice traders and millers, to provide information about the commercial viability of rice fortification.
See the report of the meeting in this publication from Sight and Life and the World Food Programme.
- Delivery options and current status of rice fortification - Presented by Karen Codling, FFI
- Introduction to rice fortification - Presented by Peiman Milani, PATH
- Concerns, myths and misconceptions of rice fortification - Presented by Helena Pachón, FFI
- Lessons learned from flour and salt fortification - Presented by Roland Kupka, UNICEF
- WHO evidence-informed global guidelines development - Presented by Katrin Engelhardt, WHO
- Overview of trials and evidence: Is rice a good vehicle for micronutrient fortification? - Presented by Saskia de Pee, World Food Programme and Tufts University; and Megan Parker, PATH
- Technology for rice fortification; finding practical solutions - Presented by Scott J. Montgomery, FFI
- Highlights of Technical Consultation for Rice Fortification in Public Health - Presented by Regina Moench-Pfanner, GAIN
- Rice landscape analysis - Presented by Rizwan Yusufali, GAIN
- USDA-FAS's micronutrient fortified food aid products pilot - Presented by Paul Alberghine, USDA
- Strategic directions for nutrition - Presented by Sutayut Osornprasop, World Bank Group
- Cost and financing - Presented by Katrien Ghoos, World Food Programme
- Linking rice fortification opportunities with nutrition objectives - Presented by Christiane Rudert, UNICEF
- Rice fortification in Costa Rica: a case study - Presented by Luis Tacsan
- Standards for rice fortification - presented by Saskia de Pee, World Food Programme and Tufts University
- Food Fortification Initiative (FFI)
- Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN)
- Micronutrient Initiative (MI)
- United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
- United Nations World Food Programme (WFP)
See a commentary about how well the partners worked together.
Also note that the presentations linked below were made on behalf of the organizing committee.