2nd International Workshop on Micronutrients and Child Health
03 November 2014 - 07 November 2014
Location: All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, India
This workshop highlighted the links between micronutrients and child health with the following themes:-
- Micronutrient deficiencies, their health consequences, methodology for their assessments, strategies for prevention and control.
- Supplementation of micronutrients to reduce maternal mortality, child morbidity and mortality.
- Food fortification, double fortified salt, and Sprinklers in control of anemia
- Genetic modified foods and related issues
Also see a gallery of workshop photos.
A "Fortification Matters" session was held on 5 November as part of this workshop. See presentations from this session below.
- Successful atta flour fortification: Using bioavailable iron compounds to increase the absorption of dietary iron - Richard Hurrell
- Efficacy of sodium iron EDTA in fortification programs - Anura Kurpad
- Introducing fortified rice through public and private sector: Global experience and the way forward - Arvind Betigeri
- Food fortification in India: enriching foods, enriching lives - Deepti Gulati
- Biofortification of cereals for enhanced nutrition: Strategies, status and future directions - KN Rai
- Rice fortification: Why, what, how and global evidence - Lynnda Keiss
- Implementing national fortification programs: Critical factors for success - R. Sankar
- Micronutrient powders: Current global program implementation status and challenges - Roland Kupka
- Findings from a six-month efficacy trial in Maharashtra involving iron-biofortified pearl millet - Samuel P. Scott
- WFP Experience on rice fortification in the Gajapati District of Odisha - Shariqua Yunus
- Food fortification as a strategy for prevention and control of micronutrient deficiencies - Venkatesh Mannar
- Human Nutrition Unit, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
- Indian Academy of Pediatrics (Sub-specialty Chapter on Nutrition), New Delhi, India
- Sitaram Bhartia Institute of Science and Research (SBISR), New Delhi, India